Saturday 15 August 2015

This Weeks Theme: War - Book Reviews

Hey!
This weeks theme for reading was War.
I read two and a half books, and the half I will be finishing this week!

The first two books I read were Parvana, and Parvana's Journey. Both were exceptionally well written, and I really enjoyed both of them. And by enjoyed I mean I cried. A lot. They were very sad.

Here are the reviews from Goodreads



There are many types of battle in Afghanistan.Imagine living in a country where women and girls are not allowed to leave the house without a man. Imagine having to wear clothes that cover every part of your body, including your face, whenever you go out. This is the life of Parvana, a young girl growing up in Afghanistan under the control of an extreme religious military group.When soldiers burst into her home and drag her father off to prison, Parvana is forced to take responsibility for her whole family, dressing as a boy to make a living in the marketplace of Kabul, risking her life in the dangerous and volatile city.By turns exciting and touching, Parvanais a story of courage in the face of overwhelming fear and repression.




I rate this book 4/5 Deathly Hallows Symbols





In Parvana’s Journey, the Taliban still control Afghanistan, but Kabul is in ruins. Parvana’s father has just died, and her mother, sister, and brother could be anywhere in the country. Parvana knows she must find them. Despite her youth, Parvana sets out alone, masquerading as a boy. She soon meets other children who are victims of war; an infant boy in a bombed-out village, a nine-year-old girl who thinks she has magic powers over landmines, and a boy with one leg. The children travel together, forging a kind of family out of sheer need. The strength of their bond makes it possible to survive the most desperate conditions. Royalties from this book will go toward an education fund for Afghan girls in Pakistani refugee camps



                                                      I rate this book 5/5 Deathly Hallows Symbols



The third book that I have started and not yet finished is Tomorrow When the War Began

So far I an quite enjoying it, but there are parts where I find it quite boring. I will put a review up and everything once I have finished it!

This weeks theme is going to be: People Dying Early.
For that I am planning on reading Wither, the first book in the Chemical Garden Trilogy, and Me, Earl and the Dying Girl.


Happy Reading Everybody!
Rose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment